In Latin America and the Caribbean, 11.6% of food is lost from production to retail, not including retail, said Sara Granados, Regional Advisor on Inclusive and Efficient Food Systems of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). That's the equivalent of 220 million tons a year with an economic cost of $150 billion, she said.
More than 150,000 jobs were lost in the country's private sector as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and the quarantines that were implemented. The business sector believes that training strategies and the creation of new job opportunities will need to be designed in a concerted manner between workers and employers to overcome the situation.
The president of the National Chamber of Commerce, Rolando Kempff, said that it is estimated that until December 2020 the GDP will fall by 10% of its growth and that Bolivia could enter a moment of "deflation" in the country's economy, due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. He assured that credits of up to $6 billion are needed to recover the country's economy.
Ernesto Salas, departmental head of the National Service of Agricultural Health and Food Safety (Senasag) Santa Cruz, informed that due to the controls carried out on the companies importing food products, 77 boxes of avocados were found without a Health Registry and without the respective import permit, approximately 1,500 kg of avocados imported from Brazil that did not have supporting documentation for their commercialization.
Bolivia is flooded with unauthorized illegal transgenic seeds that enter from Argentina, via smuggling, and are sold in the informal market, according to the National Institute for Agricultural and Forestry Innovation (Iniaf). Marín Condori, national director of Iniaf, estimates that 70% of the agricultural fields in Santa Cruz use certified seed and that the remaining 30% (between 300,000 and 400,000 hectares) use genetic material from the informal and illegal market.